Arthrex are pleased to announce the launch of their new innovative TPLO plate, which will be distributed by Pan Vet in Ireland.
- A suture hole to allow for an InternalBrace augmentation (to ward rotational instability)
- Laser lines for proper plate placement along the cut of the osteotomy
- K-wire holes to temporarily fix the plate to the bone
- Beveled ends making the plate less palpable under the skin
- Contoured and caudally tilted proximal part to fit the osteotomized tibial head
What’s behind this plate?
Co-developing surgeon Prof. Antonio Pozzi has shown that even after TPLO surgery, a rotational instability can be existent in the stifle in up to 30% of the patients (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22380922, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=24920141). The addition of an InternalBrace prevents the rotational instability and thus protects the meniscus from latent injury and excessive osteoarthritis.
The surgeon has to evaluate the need for an InternalBrace intraoperatively after TPLO implantation. Estimated surgery time for this augmentation with SwiveLock and FiberTape is 20-30 minutes.
Is there a surgical technique?
A surgical technique is in progress. Please refer to Arthrex’s youtube channel to find 3 instructional videos by Prof. Pozzi:
· Approach and osteotomy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XPzuZiWzc
· Plate placement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdQRETh05k
· InternalBrace augmentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtyWPVBkn0g